Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Catching up with pics, striking gold, ghost town, Wild Bill

Monday, June 16, 2014


The porta potty mentioned in previous blog "don't pull my chain"

First waterfall on our drive through Spearfish Canyon.  Our favorite.

2nd waterfall

3rd, Bridal Veil Falls
 I have no explanation for this, except it takes all kinds.  This was on the main street in Deadwood.

During Wild Bill Days they also had 2 days of competition of Dock Dogs.  We watched for awhile, and enjoyed it.  I had never heard of dock dogs, but apparently, this is something real and all over.  I'd watch again, for sure.


Didn't see a big ball of string, but did see a giant Abe head.

Which came first, Flat Stanley, or Flat Abe?

Street view Friday night in Deadwood for the concert.  Diamond Rio was Friday night, with a couple of warm up bands.  Saturday night headliner was Pure Prairie League.  I stood for awhile, and 5th song in, heard one I knew.  Left to go pack after that one, or I would have known more.  Not that I recognized many, but I looked up their discography.

Saturday, went to Broken Boot Mine and took a tour, but first had to discuss whether the mine would be claustrophobic for someone I won't mention by name, but his initials are John Melton.  He did fine, didn't scream once, and we enjoyed the tour.


Mary Jo and I panned for gold, both of us found some.  I really wanted to do this, so was thrilled that I'm now rich.  I found enough gold to equal about half the cost of panning, but it WAS fun.
 My winnings.



Near the south end of Spearfish Canyon is Cheyenne Crossing, a restaurant that has been around since 1878.   It was a stagecoach stop, and a cafe was added at some point.  We had Indian Fry Bread.  We all expected it to be something other than we got, but it was fine.  It was sorta like once big flat funnel cake.  John, being John, had a piece of blueberry pie, and said it was excellent.  

We drove to Galena, a "ghost" town 15 or 20 miles from Deadwood.  They were having their once a year shindig to make money for the 1882 schoolhouse maintenance.  They had a bluegrass band, hotdogs, hamburgers, etc, and a mapped out walking tour of the town.  I really enjoyed that, too.


I hope they made enough to fix this window, because apparently Deadwood isn't giving enough to do it.
 Tom and Mary Jo stayed by the schoolhouse enjoying the music, and John and I took a trail walk in the mining area above the town.
 Essential structures in Galena

 Didn't see a giant ball of string, but DID see a big spud.

Sunday morning, left early for a long drive across South Dakota.  Stayed in Sioux City, IA last night and visited an Independent League baseball game, Sioux City Explorers vs Grand Prairie (TX) Air Hogs.  Nope, didn't figure out what an air hog is.

About half way home, and Tom drove the rest today (he actually drove the WHOLE trip, which I loved), stopping for lunch in St. Joseph, MO, at my fav Barbosa's.  

Good trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment